Durable Wood Counter Alternatives in Residential or Commercial Kitchens
Wood alternatives to traditional countertops have been the top choice for residential and commercial cooks as we begin moving away from over-priced granite and stainless steel. But quality, durable wood is hard to come by with the global lack of environmental consideration—MTE Millwork has the solution.
Not only do we produce handcrafted countertops and butcher’s blocks that are unmatched in quality and beauty, but we do all of this with sustainable wood products direct from our own Menominee Forest (recognized as one of the most well-managed forests in the world), and environmentally conscious forest practices to keep that wood healthy and strong for generations to come.
Contact MTE Millwork to begin your custom wood kitchen remodel today!
Unique Pieces or the Full Counter
MTE will custom-size your order: whether you want just a small section to double as a set-in cutting board, or a full-service wood counter kitchen, the craftsmen at MTE have the experience to get it done.
We’ve accomplished custom sustainable wood products for large corporations like the Milwaukee Bucks and Habitat for Humanity, down to the smallest residential kitchen, all with the same work ethic: quality products, sustainable practices, professional service.
MTE offers a variety of wood types for butcher’s blocks and countertops alike, including, but not limited to:
- Hard Maple
- Red Oak
- Yellow Birch
- Knotty Pine
- Black Ash
All customized with beautiful stains to match your dream kitchen: speak with a wood specialist at MTE for more information on custom-made blocks and countertops.
Other than being the most affordable kitchen counter option for homeowners, wood counters offer an array of special benefits unmatched by traditional granite or laminate counters. The benefits include:
- Durable, yet soft: There’s no clatter of dropped dishes or fear of shattering delicate wine glasses from short distances, yet they resist heavy wear-and-tear.
- Sound absorbing: Wood counters offer homeowners a quiet cooking experience by absorbing appliance sounds, where they would otherwise be amplified by stone or metal counters.
- Always look new: Since wood can be continuously refinished, you can buff out burn marks, scratches, and knife cuts to keep your counter as nice as the day we installed it.
- Environmentally friendly: At MTE, we maintain our sustainable Menominee forests and produce great quality custom wood products that have kept us in business for centuries.
- Unique Character: these beautiful additions to your kitchen can match quality custom cabinetry from MTE Millwork, and other custom wood products.
Unique wood counters come in several different styles, including:
- Edge Grain:
- Our most common style involves side-by-side end planks lined for thicker counters that are more durable, thus shift less, than thinner counters from those big box stores like Ikea and Loews.
- End Grain:
- Blocks are turned into a grid format which adds an eye-catching look to your kitchen, is more durable against knife cuts, but takes significantly longer to make.
- Face Grain:
- Planks are laid flat, with the edges glued together, to form a thinner counter top perfect for dining islands, bar tops, desks, and other aesthetic finishes in your home or office.
It’s the age old question for any wood product in your home: do you stain? Do you finish? Do you leave the natural beauty?
We suggest finishing your new counter or butcher’s block with a food protectant seal, like:
- Oil-Wax Blend
- Clear Coat
And request a stain before the finishing process—to ensure that your new food cutting surface is safe from staining chemicals.